Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Pretoria
Hugh Melamdowitz is a Trade Mark Practitioner with BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand. He is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Hugh has three decades of experience in domestic and international trade mark registration, searches and renewals, domestic and international trade mark and copyright litigation, copyright agreements, entertainment law, media law, and international distribution.
He specialises in commercial agreements relating to IP, licensing, franchising and distribution, as well as competition, advertising, gaming, entertainment, film, music and sports law.
- Member – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Honorary Member – Association of Fellows and Legal Scholars of the Centre for International Legal Studies (CILS)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Best Lawyers – Entertainment Law: South Africa, 2022
- Best Lawyers – Franchise Law: South Africa, 2022
- Contributor to the chapter on Sponsorship Agreements (Centre for International Legal Studies)
- Regular speaker at industry conferences, including International Bar Conferences 2013-2015, Advertising & Marketing Law Annual Conference 2015-2016, eCommerce Law & Security Conference 2015
- Guest lecturer at South Africa’s top universities, including University of Johannesburg (sports law), University of the Witwatersrand (communications law), the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, and Stellenbosch University (interface between the Competition Act and IP legislation)