Spoor & Fisher has once again reached the “Gold Band” tier in the annual World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 rankings, which recognise the leading national and international trade mark practitioners worldwide.
This exceptional achievement reflects the firm’s depth of expertise, market presence and level of work.
The WTR 1000 refers to Spoor & Fisher as an innovative leader in the field, known for “provid[ing] tailored advice and always getting the job done. With cost-effective solutions, this group’s experts are responsive, dedicated and commercially oriented.”
The firm is also identified as “front and centre” when it comes to “driving forward legislative change in South Africa and the wider continent.”
Six of our top performers are cited on the prosecution front:
- Louise Myburgh is commended for “strong academic knowledge and practical solutions – a practitioner at the top of her game.”
- Eben van Wyk “takes the time to understand his clients’ businesses and pre-empts and identifies any potential strategic gaps. Offering concise and direct advice, van Wyk leaves no stone unturned.”
- Stephen Goldberg provides experienced leadership, as well as “timely and detailed responses”, which have earned him an excellent industry reputation.
- With decades of experience in the US and South Africa, Kay Rickelman is the go-to professional for international portfolio management.
- Completing the firm’s prosecution line-up is Jean McIvor, who forms a formidable partnership with sharpshooting litigator Charles Webster; “a great combination, McIvor has a wide breadth of experience in clearances, searches and prosecution, whilst Webster offers broad experience in conflicts”.
The quartet of John Foster, Carl van Rooyen¸ Mohamed Khader, and Megan Reimers is also highlighted as a force to be reckoned with.
- Foster “provides rounded advice and sound judgment to a consistently high standard”; Van Rooyen brings three decades of experience to the table and masterfully handles trade mark infringement and opposition work; and Reimers is in demand by industry giants for her quick thinking and in-depth knowledge.
- Khader and Potgieter are known for battling against counterfeiters. Heading the anti-counterfeiting team, Khader is a leading light in the profession, often sought out by authorities for assistance, while Potgieter is a sharp strategist with vast experience in advising market leaders.
Individual practitioners, law firms and trade mark attorney practices qualify for inclusion in the WTR 1000 based on positive feedback from market sources, over 1500 of whom are interviewed by a team of analysts over four months.
About the WTR 1000
The WTR 1000 is the only definitive guide dedicated to identifying the world’s leading trade mark legal service providers in over 80 global jurisdictions and US states.