Herman van Schalkwyk
Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Pretoria
Herman van Schalkwyk is a Patent Attorney. He has BEng (Mech), LLB (cum laude) and MBA (cum laude) degrees, and is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Herman’s 14 years at Spoor & Fisher have covered domestic and international patent and design matters, with a particular focus on the preparation and prosecution of patent and design applications within the mechanical, civil and general engineering fields. His experience also includes commercial transactions relating to IP, due diligence investigations, landscape analyses, and patentability and freedom to operate analyses.
Outside of his professional responsibilities, Herman has a keen interest in the management of organisations, particularly in leadership and strategy. He enjoys serving within the management structures of Spoor & Fisher.
- Fellow – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Member – International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Member – American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Member of the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Lecturer, Examiner and Moderator on SA design law: Patent Examination Board and SAIIPL, 2015 to date
- Member of Patent Law Committee and Design Law Committee at SAIIPL.
- Lecturer on design law and their industrial applications: WIPO Summer School, 2015 to date
- Speaker at IP and Technology Commercialisation Colloquium, 2019
- Speaker on industrial design: IP 4 SME Workshop, 2018
- Speaker on IP for start-ups: GCIP-SA National Academy, 2016-2017
- Co-author of Lexology Chapter on Patents
- Speaker at Inventor Assistance Programme (IAP) Promotional Webinar, 2020