Partner, Chairperson of Executive Committee, Spoor & Fisher, Pretoria
Lodewyk Cilliers is a Patent Attorney with BEng (Mech) and LLB degrees. He is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa and a registered professional engineer (Pr Eng).
Lodewyk has almost two decades of experience, specialising in the filing and prosecution of patent and registered design applications locally and abroad. He focuses on mechanical, civil and general engineering inventions.
Prior to joining the patent profession, Lodewyk worked as a mechanical engineer in the nuclear energy environment.
- Fellow – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Member – South African Institute of Mechanical Engineers (SAIMechE)
- Registered Professional Engineer – Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA)
- Member – Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA)
- Member – International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Listed – IAM Strategy 300, 2019-2020
- Listed – IAM’s World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2016-present
- Listed – Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2015
- Author of the Designs chapter of Dean & Dyer: Introduction to Intellectual Property Law (Oxford University Press), 2014
- Author of the South African chapter of International Design Protection (Globe Law and Business), 2016
- Co-author of the South African chapter of Unfair Trading Practices (Centre for International Legal Studies), 2016
- Lecturer on SA design law: Patent Examination Board and SAIIPL, 2009-ongoing
- Lecturer on the drafting of patent specifications: Patent Examination Board and SAIIPL, 2019-ongoing