Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Cape Town
Mark Kemp is a Patent Attorney and has BSc (Hons) (Chem) and BProc degrees. He is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Mark’s almost three decades of experience have covered domestic and international patent matters, including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the chemical, metallurgical, nanotechnology and biochemical fields, and related litigation.
He files and prosecutes patent applications internationally for a wide range of local and foreign clients, most notably from the US and UK – from start-up to blue-chip companies, as well as universities and other parastatals.
Consequently, Mark has taken over and successfully prosecuted a number of large patent portfolios for local and international clients. He also has extensive experience in advising pharmaceutical and nutraceutical companies on launching new products to the market.
- Fellow – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- CET Group 5 Reporter – International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Member – Congress of Fellows of the Centre of International Studies (CIS)
- Member – International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Associate Member – South African Chemical Institute (SACI)
- Past President – FICPI South Africa
- Former ZA Delegate – FICPI Exco
- Former Member – FICPI Communication Commission
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Listed – IAM’s World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2016-present
- Listed – Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2014-present
- Listed – Euromoney’s Expert Guides: Patents, 2015, 2017-2021
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property Law: South Africa, 2022
- Author of Chapter 91 Laws of South Africa with commentary – Patents, World Intellectual Property Rights and Remedies (Centre for International Legal Studies), 2001-present
- Author of IP legislation for start-ups in the health sciences field in ZA, Euromoney Expert Guide: Patents, 2015
- Lecturer on IP Law: University of Cape Town, 2012-2013