Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Pretoria
Shanaaz Mahomed is a Patent Attorney. She has BSc (Bot, Biochem, Chem), BJuris and LLB degrees, and is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Shanaaz has over two decades of experience in the prosecution of South African national phase patent applications. She specialises in the prosecution of patent applications at the South African patent office, including filing of amendment applications, dealing specifically with patent matters in the pharmaceutical, chemical and biochemical fields.
Shanaaz has served as the Head of the Patent department at Spoor & Fisher during 2019-2020, and has been appointed by the Minister of Trade, Industry & Competition to serve on the Patent Examination Board.
- Fellow – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Board Member – Patent Examination Board
- Immediate Past President – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (2022)
- President – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (2021)
- Chairperson – Patent Examination Board (2015-2017)
- Observer – Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Member – GATS Committee/Law Society of South Africa (2015-2022)
- WIPR – Influential Women in IP Award, 2020
- Business Woman’s Regional Achiever Award, 2007
- First South African Black female Patent Attorney, 2005
- Guest lecturer of IP Law: Nelson Mandela University, 2009 & 2010
- Guest lecturer of IP Law: Rhodes University, 2009
- Guest speaker at Graduation: Nelson Mandela University, 2010