Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Pretoria
Charles Webster is a Trade Mark Attorney and has a BSc (Computer Science) and an LLB. He is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
With over three decades of experience as a trade mark practitioner, Charles specialises in litigation – in particular, trade mark and copyright infringement, passing off, unlawful competition, Advertising Regulatory Board complaints, company name objections and domain name disputes.
He has expert knowledge of all aspects of IP portfolio management and acts for a number of local and global blue-chip companies.
- Fellow (and past President) – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Member – International Trademark Association (INTA) Leadership
- Member – INTA Amicus Committee
- Member – INTA Pro Bono Committee (2024/2025)
- Member – American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM) Anti-Counterfeiting Committee
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property Law: South Africa 2009-present
- Best IP Practitioners – World IP Review Leaders, 2016-present
- Band 1 – Chambers & Partners, 2011-present
- Listed in the elite “Leading individuals” list – Legal 500, 2020
- Trade Mark Star – Managing Intellectual Property IP STARS, 2015-present
- Ranked – Legal 500 2011, 2016-present
- Trade Marks and Best of the Best – Euromoney’s Expert Guides, 2016-2021
- Listed – Who’s Who Legal, 2011-2014 and 2016-2021
- Ranked – WTR 1000, 2014-present
- IP Lawyer of the Year – Best Lawyers, 2017
- Co-author of 4th edition of Webster and Page: South African Law of Trade Marks (LexisNexis SA), 2005
- Contributor to The Law of South Africa (LAWSA)
- Lecturer on trade mark law and copyright: Patent Examination Board
- Lecturer for LLM students: Stellenbosch University
- Examiner for trade mark practitioners’ exam: SAIIPL