Partner, Spoor & Fisher, Cape Town
Jeremy Speres is a solicitor of England & Wales and an experienced attorney of South Africa, specialising in international intellectual property and IT law. He has a broad range of experience in transactional, contentious, and prosecution matters across multiple jurisdictions.
He has extensive expertise in consumer products brand protection, working closely with vendors, local counsel, investigators, and law enforcement to develop and manage brand protection programs. Jeremy has notably handled global online brand protection work for Europe’s largest consumer internet company.
Jeremy is highly knowledgeable in internet law, particularly domain name law and online brand protection. He serves as a WIPO domain name dispute panellist, adjudicating complaints under the UDRP and other policies, and is also a .za domain name dispute adjudicator.
His advisory work covers areas such as data protection and privacy, infosec legal concerns, software licensing and development agreements, intermediary liability, social media, e-commerce, and trade mark and copyright enforcement.
He has handled contentious and transactional aspects of internet numbering resources, including IPv4, IPv6, and Autonomous Systems (AS), and has engaged with Regional Internet Registries. Jeremy also possesses knowledge and experience in internet governance and the intermediary ecosystem, including enforcement actions on major platforms, dark web investigations, payment provider actions, blockchain domains, on-chain investigations, and NFTs.
Jeremy’s exceptional work has earned him high ratings from clients, including nominations as a Thomson Reuters Standout Lawyer and for the MIP IP Stars awards.
He is actively involved in the IP community and contributes articles to IP and other legal publications. Jeremy also shares his expertise as a lecturer to IP & IT law students at the University of Cape Town and serves as an independent reviewer for the South African Intellectual Property Law Journal.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Member
- Member – International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Member – International Trade Mark Association (INTA) Data Protection Committee
- Jeremy is listed in the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook as a “rising star to watch” 2017, 2020-2021
- Listed – Legal 500
- Listed – Luxury Law Alliance
- Consistently nominated by clients as a standout lawyer for the Acritas Stars award since 2015
- Best Lawyers – Information Technology Law: South Africa, 2022
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) domain name dispute panellist, adjudicating complaints under the UDRP and other policies
- .za domain name dispute adjudicator
- Guest lecturer to IP and IT law students at the University of Cape Town
- Independent Reviewer for the academic journal South African Intellectual Property Law Journal
- Author of Getting the Deal Through – Franchising
- Author of Lexology – Trade Marks
- Author of World Trademark Review – Licensing (South Africa), 2018
- Co-author of the South African chapter of Luxury Law: Jurisdictional Comparisons (The Global Legal Post), 2016