Vanessa van Coppenhagen
Consultant, Spoor & Fisher, Cape Town
Vanessa van Coppenhagen has a BA, LLB and a LLM (Intellectual Property Law, Broadcasting & Telecommunications Law) and is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa. Vanessa specialises in commercial IP, TMT, hotel/ tourism, and entertainment/ creative industries law; corporate restructuring; acquisitions and disposals; not-for-profit/ tax exempt entity structuring and projects; and general corporate law. She has a strong legal acumen, bringing a solid track record of working on and executing various IP and TMT transactions and licensing arrangements; acquisitions and disposals; and other commercial and not-for profit driven legal projects, including having acted for private and public (listed) companies, both locally and offshore as well as for not-for-profit / public foundation clients.
- Associate – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Leading / recommended lawyer Best Lawyers® (Mergers and Acquisitions Law), South Africa
- Leading lawyer by IAM Licensing 250 – patent and technology licensing
- Lectured Intellectual Property law part time at the University of the Witwatersrand and has presented guest lectures at the University of the Witwatersrand, the University of Johannesburg and at the South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance (AFDA) on Intellectual Property law.
- Co-authored South Africa’s contribution to the United Nations and Harvard University Corporate Law Tools Project with Professor Michael Katz, which deals with the Mandate of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on the issue of Human Rights and Transnational Corporations and other Business Enterprises.
- Contributed to the South African chapter of a book relating to corporate law, together with Professor Michael Katz.
- Contributed a chapter on Entertainment Law in The Law of South Africa.
- Written an article on Copyright Valuation which is published in The South African Mercantile Law Journal.
- Written an article on Multimedia Works as Cinematograph Films which is published in The South African Law Journal
- Written an article entitled “Copyright and the WIPO Copyright Treaty, with specific reference to the rights applicable in a digital environment and the protection of technological measures” which was published in The South African Law Journal.